Trusted C-suite advisor, executive leader and recognized mentor and coach, Mike Owens is a financial expert with strong governance and global leadership experience. Seasoned professional with over 30 years of experience providing audit and advisory services to some of Canada’s most successful and enduring companies. Proven senior executive at Deloitte with 16 years in significant management and board roles. Deloitte Senior Partner, Clients and Markets responsible for some of the firm’s most important relationships. Former Deloitte Global Leader, Mid-Market as well as member of Deloitte’s Global leadership team. Managing Partner, Canadian Marketplace, with responsibility for 50 Canadian Deloitte offices – lead the transformation of Deloitte’s Canadian business to focus the firm’s capabilities on leading entrepreneurs. Currently lead partner for one of Deloitte’s top retail clients responsible for overseeing a range of services including technology, risk, audit, global acquisitions, digital transformation and executive development/transition.
Significant experience working with and on Boards, encompassing;
• Corporate Governance – Deloitte Canada Board member for eight years. Chaired both the Finance Committee and the Risk Committee. Oversaw the implementation of their Enterprise Risk framework as well as their Ethics reporting framework.
• Financial expert – An FCPA with over 30 years’ experience reporting to, and advising, boards and audit committees including SEC registrants. Experienced chair for NPO Audit and Finance Committees.
• Succession – Experienced advisor to Board chairs and Management Resources and Compensation chairs on CEO succession. Led the Deloitte Canada effort to build an Executive Readiness offering to support future CEO development. CEO succession committee for two Deloitte CEO selections and two Chair selections.
• Operating in a Global Environment – Executive leader on Deloitte’s global management team, led global firm’s strategy for high growth companies in 150 countries. Extensive global experience leveraged to advise Canadian clients as they expand global operations.
• Leadership Development & Strategy – Recognized capability in top talent development. Coached and mentored a number of the current Deloitte executive team, and was a leader in creating a formal coaching program in 2017, the Deloitte College of Coaching Excellence. Provided leadership on behalf of a client Board Chair and CEO to coach and lead the accelerated development of their top internal candidate. One of the Canadian leaders of Deloitte’s Global CFO Program; delivered transition facilitation for several incoming CFOs as well as CEOs and CHROs at the request of their boards. Board member for the Wallace McCain Institute for Entrepreneurship, duties include mentoring CEOs on strategies to accelerate growth.
• Digital Transformation – Have oversight responsibility for Deloitte teams delivering to an iconic Canadian retailer on emerging technologies including Artificial Intelligence (AI), Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and Blockchain.
• Innovation – Track record at Deloitte for building out Greenfield businesses and re-energizing old ones. Experienced in leading transformational change, supporting companies’ dynamic responses to disruption with tools including AI assisted scenario planning.
• Large Program Execution – Oversight of many significant large programs led by Deloitte teams, Canadian and global.
• Stakeholder relations – Experienced in managing complex stakeholder relationships with Board members, Executives and Regulators as well as families. Significant experience serving some of Canada’s largest family businesses and the unique dynamics they bring to bear.
Wallace McCain Institute for Entrepreneurship Board 2017 – present St. Augustine’s Seminary, Toronto, Board of Governors 2010 – 2016 Finance Committee St. Augustine’s Seminary 2010 – 2016 Deloitte Global Management Committee 2009 – 2013 Deloitte Canada Board 1998 – 2006 Chair Risk Committee, Deloitte Board 2002 – 2006 Chair Finance Committee, Deloitte Board 2000 – 2002
Senior Partner, Clients & Markets 2014 – present Lead Partner on Major Canadian Retailer 2014 – present Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Global Leader, Mid-Market 2009 – 2013 Advisory Partner on Major Canadian Mining Company, SEC registrant 2008 – 2013 Advisory Partner on Canadian listed, North American Metals Company 2008 – 2015 Managing Partner, Canadian Marketplace 2006 – 2012 Managing Partner, Atlantic Canada 1998 – 2006 Lead Partner, Large Private Conglomerate 1988 – 2008 Admitted to Partnership 1988
Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, FCPA, FCA 2018 Chartered Accountant, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario 2008 Chartered Accountant, New Brunswick Institute of Chartered Accountants Saint Francis Xavier University, BBA